Vaccination against T. vivax

Roberto Aguilar ramss at BRASINET.COM.BR
Sat Aug 16 14:01:51 EST 1997

Dear Colleagues,
This week I read a paper: "Partial protection against natural
trypanosomiasis after vaccination with flagellar pocket antigen from
Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense". Fred MKunza, William M. Olaho and Curtis
N. Powell(to whom correspondence should be addressed). Vaccine, vol 13,
No 2, pp.151-154.
Cattle that were inoculated with an antigen derived from the flagellar
pocket of Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense and then infected with T.
congolense and T. vivax were comparated with unvaccinated cattle when
boths groups of cattle were placed in regions of Kenya endemic for tsetse
flies known to harbour T. congolense and T. vivax.
... After 15 months, or over three rainy seasons, 13% of untreated
controls became infected while of 177 immunized animals 0.9% became
infected. These resuls are the first report of heterologous
immunoprotection against trypanosomiasis in cattle.
The address of Dr. Powell is The Skirball Institute of Biomolecular
Medicine, New York, N. Y. 10016, USA.
I have used the internet to found Dr. Powell, but was unsucessful.
Please, Do you know the actual address of Dr. Powell?
We are VERY VERY interested in test this vaccine in The Pantanal,
Brazil.
Sincerely,
Roberto Aguilar M. S. Silva
EMBRAPA/CPA-Pantanal