Giardia as a zoonosis (or not)

Patalliro patalliro at aol.com
Fri Aug 29 22:55:01 EST 1997

Hello.

I am a complete layperson when it comes to parasites, but my doctor just
told me that I probably have an infection from Giardia.  Since my big
dictionary wasn't any help (it pretty much told me that it lives in the
intestines and that's about it), I came to this newsgroup and was lucky
enough to find a posting on it.

I am sorry that I'm not answering Andy's questions or anything, but could
someone please tell me what Giardia is in taxonomy?  Also, I didn't drink
water from any unusual sources, so I'm wondering how I could have gotten
it.  We have municipal water around here.  If it is Giardia, what species
could it be?  My doctor prescribed Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol)
instead of antibiotics because I'm still nursing my child.  How does it
help control Giardia?  Does it ever eliminate it or just put it in check?

Any answers are appreciated.