(none)

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D gmclaugh at INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Mon Dec 1 10:16:01 EST 1997

Parasitic infections should be easy to diagnose, and they are seldom lethal.
Perhaps the most serious worry is Entamoeba histolytica, a parasitic amoeba;
this is easily cured using several drugs, if it has not spread extensively
outside of the gut.  If the doctors said that malabsorption was a problem,
this sounds like it could also be Giardia lamblia, a flagellate that is the
most common gut parasite; this parasite usually causes diarrhea and
self-resolves for people with good immunity; and it is also easily cured by
readily available drugs.  I urge the patient to consult with his physician
and to find a lab skilled in parasite diagnosis and aware of suitable drugs.
Saltines and Gatoraid are not the usual prescriptions for serious infectious
diseases, although the latter will help with fluid loss, often the main
concern.  Some suggestive work in animals also indicates that high-fiber
diets also help symptoms a bit, but drugs work for sure.

Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.

At 10:53 PM 11/28/97 -0800, John McLand wrote:
>Any help???

>>From: fh535 at juno.com
>>To: aakera at hotmail.com, andrew_williams at shop.juno.com, bcmille at juno.com,
>>        dlm522 at juno.com, dlmii522 at juno.com, dtcrosley at juno.com,
>>        eric.clevenger at iname.com, jem1231 at juno.com, k.d.wilson at juno.com,
>>        l.k.walls at juno.com, mclandj at indy.net, melvin at adams.kiev.ua,
>>        nurse32 at juno.com, palexander1 at juno.com, pelton at ms10.hinet.net,
>>        tt537 at juno.com, rerisma at lamar.ColoState.EDU, rerisma at pol.net,
>>        siuhing at webtv.net, tate at proaxis.com, louiev at melizo.com,
>>        Wjmarsh at aol.com, barone33 at ms13.hinet.net, schmidt at fuse.net,
>>        PBA785 at aol.com, rmbrock at juno.com
>>Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:00:49 -0500
>>

>>Greetings in the healing name of Jesus
>>This was sent to me and my Wife have and are praying for David
>>Please pass on and PRAY  for him
>>Sent to me by Dr. Risma
>>Thank you

Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
635 Barnhill Dr., MS A128
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5113
Ph 317-274-2651; FAX 317-278-0643
e-mail:  gmclaugh at iupui.edu