Tryps killing fungus

Benno ter Kuile terkuil at ROCKVAX.ROCKEFELLER.EDU
Tue Dec 2 11:15:15 EST 1997

        Is anyone interested in a tryps-killing fungus ?

I have an organism, probably a fungus, in one of the chemostats that I use
to grow Trypanosoma brucei insect form. The conclusion that this organism
secretes a trypanocidal product is based on the following observations :
- The density of the culture was drastically lowered when these organisms
started growing in the culture vessel.
- No cells other than Trypanosomes were observed in the culture fluid.
- Trypanosomes grew well in medium of the exact same batch in culture flasks.
- Tilting the culture vessel so that one of the colonies became temporarily
submersed caused massive death of the Trypanosomes in culture overnight.

        I do not have the setup to follow up on this myself, but if anyone
is interested I would be happy to start a cooperation.

Benno ter Kuile
Assistant professor
The Rockefeller University
1230 York avenue, New York  NY 10021