Toxoplasma gondii

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D gmclaugh at INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Tue Dec 2 09:04:30 EST 1997

Christopher-

One caution; you should try to make even practice research grants as
consistent with known information as possible.  A Medline search should tell
you whether there are such mutants of Toxoplasma, which I doubt, but the
natural situation may be interesting even without such specific mutants.
Several classes of antiparasitic drugs do directly affect the unique steps
of the sterol pathway of parasites.  I'm not aware of successful drugs that
affect the synthesis of host lipids as an indirect way to kill parasites,
but it's an intriguing idea.  I'd predict that the host would die before the
parasite would be killed by inhibitions of uptake of lipids from the host.
However, experiments are what counts, and a rapidly testable experiment is
whether Toxoplasma grows in hosts or host tissue culture cells with and
without inhibitors of lipid synthesis.  Many parasites (as Steve Furlong
showed for Schistosomes, and with us for Pneumocystis, a lung parasite)
transfer lipids back and forth with host cells.

Hope this helps a bit.  Try Medline using Toxoplasma, lipid, etc; I think
Bloomington is wired.

Jerry McLaughlin

At 07:03 AM 12/2/97 -0500, Christopher Eric Gray GAR wrote:

>I am writing a "Research Grant
>Proposal" for my Cell Physiology class
>and I need help in finding a Strain of
>T. gondii that is either deficient
>in cholesterol synthesis (doubtful)
>or would be resistant to drugs that
>inhibit cholesterol synthesis i.e.
>Levostatin or pravastatin or any other
>inhibitor.
>
>My basic hypothesis of my proposal is that T.
>gondii needs the host cell for cholesterol
>synthesis.
>
>It's not actually going to be tested.
>It's basically just a research paper.
>But if I could find an appropriate
>strain it would make my life a whole
>lot easier.
>
>HELP!!!!!
>chris

Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
635 Barnhill Dr., MS A128
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5113
Ph 317-274-2651; FAX 317-278-0643
e-mail:  gmclaugh at iupui.edu