sexuality and parasites

Peter Ashton pda2 at york.ac.uk
Fri Dec 19 15:37:11 EST 1997

Gaston PICHON wrote in message <3497B43A.5071 at bondy.orstom.fr>...
>I was told that sexuality could arise in evolution from the intervention
>of a parasite.
>Does any has some information on this subject?

This idea arose because a population that can exploit recombination has a
higher
average resistance to exploitation by parasites. I think the work was done
by William
Hamilton and some others (maybe Axelrod) whose names I have sadly forgotten.
think it was done in the eighties, probably on computer models.

A really good place to start is Matt Ridley's "The Red Queen: Sex and the
Evolution
of Human Nature". I seem to remember that he references all the original
articles that
he quotes.

>Thanks,

You're welcome, sorry for being so vague....

Pete Ashton
The University of York, Department of Biology
nospam:pda2 at york.ac.uk