unexplained worm infestation

Alpenrose alpenrose at aol.com
Thu Feb 6 10:35:00 EST 1997

I am a scientist, pharmacist, and have always been level-headed, honest
and borne true witness to events (i.e. I do not suffer from any psychotic
illness, paranoia, schizophrenia).
In August 1994, in S of France on a farm littered for centuries with sheep
dung, I was bitten on the head by a swarm of insects/flies.  The locals
called them red ants but they looked fairly black to me.  The Oxford
Textbook of Medicine refers to 'Red Flies' of the genus Chrysops, vectors
of larval forms of several parasites (inc hookworm), also Anthrax.  They
are particularly attracted by wood smoke and we were having a BBQ at the
time. The lesions caused by these bites were red and hive-shaped and I
thought no more about them until, by Jan 95, it was obvious that they were
not healing up.  Furthermore, I could feel lumps beneath my scalp which
sometimes varied in position.  These lumps seemed to let out crystalline
"eggs" which bit into my face and then to other parts of my body.  They
even bit through a sheet of writing paper with a curious buzzing sound.
A blood test showed high eosinophilia (5.0 against >0.1).  A Doctor friend
suggested a course of Thiabendazole 1500mg b.d. for 4 days.  I had serious
side effects, gastro-intestinal, enlargement of scrotum and something like
an elephantitis of my neck.  These subsided after discontinuation of the
drug.  Other medical help was not available or not interested.  The
condition progressed to small brown specks an most parts ofmy body which,
when removed with forceps showed worms attached beneath the lesion (about
12mm x 0.5mm, and could have been Uncinaria, however I am not in a
position to say).  Treatment with anti-fungal creams seemed to provide
some relief from the intense itch.
Later, each lesion would start to produce satellites giving off
subcutaneous larvae which would pop up a cm or so later and form yet
another lesion.  Palliative drugs of choice have been aspirin and codeine
(orally) and xylocaine spray locally.
The problem, now more than 2 years old, is getting worse and the lesions
are becoming as ulcers (about 1cm diameter), many now in the peri-anal
region of my buttocks. I find myself, often in my sleep, gouging them out
with my fingers to obtain relief.  The product is generally finely
granular with an attached worm (12mm).
Recently, on opening my bowels and to my surprise, have been clumps of
smooth roundworms (maybe 50 per clump) and each worm has been about 15cm
long (FIFTEEN CENTIMETRES).
Apart from frustration of itchiness,  I do not feel particularly
lethargic, I am of normal weight and do not appear anaemic.
Local doctors either do not know or are too busy.  Has anybody a
suggestion?