Trichomonas vaginalis

Graham Clark graham.clark at lshtm.ac.uk
Fri Feb 14 04:32:49 EST 1997

>Can anybody help me out with a protocol on how to prepare a culture of
>Trichomanas vaginalis for storage in liquid N2? I assume, the methods
>are different from those used in bacteria and mammalian cells. Any
>suggestions are greatly appreciated!

There is a recent review on cryopreservation of protozoa that is a
follow-up to the one suggested by Lance C. Russell and may be more
widely available:

Diamond, L. S. 1995. Cryopreservation and storage of parasitic protozoa
in liquid nitrogen. J. Euk. Microbiol. 42 (5): 585-590.

The paper describes methods in detail and since his longevity record for
T.vaginalis in LN2 is 27+ years and counting I think the protocols must
be pretty good! DMSO is the croprotectant but I'm sure the details differ
from bacteria and mammalian cells. Trichomonads are also relatively
forgiving during cryporeservation compared to some protists...

Graham Clark
C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Parasitology,
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine,
Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, England, G.B.
Tel: ++44-171-927-2351
FAX: ++44-171-636-8739
e-mail: g.clark at lshtm.ac.uk