Trichomonas vaginalis

Benno ter Kuile terkuil at ROCKVAX.ROCKEFELLER.EDU
Tue Feb 18 11:04:34 EST 1997

>To whom it may concern,
>
> Can anybody help me out with a protocol on how to prepare a culture of
>Trichomanas vaginalis for storage in liquid N2? I assume, the methods
>are different from those used in bacteria and mammalian cells. Any
>suggestions are greatly appreciated!
>
> thanks in advance, sincerely,
>
> M.Lenz

        Dear M. Lenz,

                     I use the following protocol :

Make a 20 % solution of DMSO in the growth medium (sterile obviously). Mix
that 1:1 with a late log-phase culture and distribute 1 ml portions in
freezing vials. Freeze rapidly at - 80 C and keep it there for at least
overnight. Next day (or a few days later) transfer to liquid N2.

        When you need your culture take good care to warm up quickly and
transfer at once to fresh medium, so that the exposure to 10 % DSMO is of
short duration. Usually the culture starts growing within 24 hours.

Good luck,

          Benno ter Kuile