Ascaris eggs

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Thu Jan 16 12:59:28 EST 1997

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, GPEARSON wrote:

> hi all.  i have inherited a lab manual to revise that instructs students
> to "wash hands thoroughly after handling Ascaris specimens.  Eggs have
> been known to survive preservation."

	[snip, snip]

> do any of you know of an actual case of infection after handling
> dead, preserved, female Ascaris lumbricoides?

	I'm not aware of any cases of transmission from handling preserved
Ascarids, but I have seen Toxocara canis and Toxascaris leonia eggs
preserved in 10% Buffered Neutral Formalin develope to infective stage
when removed from our refigerator.  These eggs have been kept in formalin
and refrigerated for 2 to 3 years.  I believe these eggs would be capable
of infecting a host although we've not actually attempted to do so.  My
suggestion would be to (1) wear gloves for protection from the Ascarids,
(2) wear a mask to prevent inhalation of eggs and other antigenic material
capable of stimulating an allergeic response, (3) thoroughly wash all lab
surfaces and hands with betadine scrub at the conclusion of the lab, and
(4) dispose of all lab material as biohazardous waste.

	An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of Panacur!

     *  Charles T. Faulkner, M.A.                   *
     *  Clinical Parasitology Service               *
     *  Dept. of Comparative Medicine               *
     *  2407 River Drive                            *
     *  Knoxville, TN 37996-4500                    *
     *  Voice: (423) 974-5645  Fax: (423) 974-5640  *
     *  E-Mail: ctfaulkner at utk.edu                  *