Death of Dr. Richard D. Lumsden

Mark Armitage micromark at juno.com
Thu Jan 23 11:42:33 EST 1997

Dear all, I hope this is not inappropriate, but I feel that it has
meaning to the parasitology community.

It is with great personal sadness that I report the death of Dr. Richard
D. Lumsden (age 59, on January 12, 1997).  Dr. Lumsden was a cell
biologist, molecular biologist, and a superb electron microscopist.  He
had many published papers in many peer-reviewed journals.

Dr. Lumsden, was as well, a world-class parasitologist.  His name is
known around the world in parasitology circles.  He published some 90
peer-reviewed papers, mostly in parasitological journals often
describing new species, and presented over 100 program abstracts of
papers read.  He won the Henry Baldwin Ward medal.  He received over 21
Research Grants and Contracts from such organizations at the National
Institutes of Health, The National Science Foundation and the FDA.   He
was a trainer of Ph.D.'s - having trained some 27 of them over his
career as Dean of the Graduate School at Tulane.
He was a member of the American Society of Parasitologists, the American
Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Society of
Zoologists, the Society for Cell Biology, the Helminthological Society
of Washington, the New York Academy of Sciences, The Southwestern
Association of Parasitologists, the Louisiana Society for Electron
Microscopy, the Electron Microscopy Society of America, the American
Association of University Professors and Sigma Xi.
Mark Armitage
Azusa Pacific University