encysting cercariae

ERIC WETZEL wetzele at WABASH.EDU
Wed Jul 16 09:12:49 EST 1997

I've become interested in trematode cercariae that encyst "on"
something in the environment (reportedly, things like aquatic
vegetation, etc.), e.g., paramphistomes, notocotylids, etc.  I was
wondering whether anyone rountinely collects snails that are infected
with cercariae of these types, and if so, if you'd be willing to
share some; I'd like to get as many species as I can running in the
lab.  If so, please contact me at my address below.  Of course, I
could pay shipping, etc.  OR, if you have information, observations (or
suggestions) you'd like to share, please feel free to throw those
in!

Overall, I'm interested in the cercarial behavior in the environment,
e.g., substrate choice, settling behavior, energetics of the
cercariae (in many the tail is dropped but it [the tail] continues to
swim....lost energy?), etc.   One thing in which I'm curious is
whether there are any parallels between these types of encysting
cercariae and marine invertebrate larvae (and the factors that go
into their settlement behavior).

So, if you have comments on any of the above (or could share
ideas/observations/snails), please let me know, OR post comments to
the group.  My observation on all the "junk" posts to this group is
that they seem so overwhelming because of the general lack of
substantive discussion.  Perhaps if we get some involved discussion going
again, the number of smut and parasite-panacea ads won't seem so
numerous.

For example, are folks comfortable with the idea that cercariae that
encyst "on" something are in general ancestral to those that encyst
"in" a next intermediate host?  Is there a nice, neat evolutionary
trend from encysting on a plant to encysting on an animal to
encysting 'in' an animal?  Any discussion (to the group or to me) is
welcome.

If you've read this far, sorry about the lengthy post!
Eric
Eric J. Wetzel, Ph.D.           phone: 765-361-6074
Department of Biology           fax:   765-361-6149
Wabash College                  email: wetzele at wabash.edu
PO Box 352
Crawfordsville, IN 47933
USA