Question about flagyl versus other antibiotics

Gary Lum Gary.Lum at CASRDH.HEALTH.nt.com.au
Thu Mar 6 05:28:56 EST 1997

Sudhir Chhikara wrote:

> I have been having some interesting GI problems for the last 2 years.
> Nothing my GI had worked until
> he put me on flagyl (250mg 3x for 5 days).  I seemed to help significantly
> after the third or fourth day.
> The symptoms (loose stool, gas, bloating, belching, and vague fatigue)
> returned after a 3 days.  After this, He
> tried amoxicillian and clairythomycin (Novamox and Baxin).  This has no
> effect even though the amounts
> of antibiotic was stronger.  What I am wondering is what does flagyl kill
> that the other antibiotic do not
> effect.  I understand the flagyl is anti-protozal, but does it effect
> anything else?
>
> Much thanks in advance...
>
> P.S. Does the killing the parasite cause a minor die off effect. I noticed
> that It felt worse before it got better
> on the fourth day.  No such effect on the other antibiotics.

Metronidazole is a wonderful agent that works against anaerobic
organisms (which includes many parasites).  It kills by gaining entry
into cells, the nitro group is reduced by nitroreductase in the
cytoplasm, this generates short lived cytotoxic free radicals that
disrupt host DNA.

Be careful though, mixing metronidazole and alcohol can have very
unpleasant effects.

Regards

Gary

Dr Gary Lum
Director of Microbiology
Royal Darwin Hospital

Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
Meet me at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glum/index.html
E-mail me at glum at ozemail.com.au or gary.lum at nt.gov.au