Tapeworms (fwd

James Mahaffy mahaffy at DORDT.EDU
Thu Mar 6 09:42:32 EST 1997

> Mike <an14382 at anon.nymserver.com> writes:
>
> >I would like to know about any potential application there is of
> >beneficial impact of tapeworms on humans, or for that matter, any other
> >animals. Can they help me diet?
>
> I seem to remember that in the early part of this century tapeworm
> eggs were sold (anonymously) as a dieting aid, but I imagine this was
> outlawed a LONG time ago. There are better ways - try exercising.
>
> Graham

I tend to discount this story
as folklore without substance, but thought I would share it anyway. The
folklore among some of the Italian population in Eritrea back in the
50's, when I was growing up was that eating rare beef (almost always
giving you a tapeworm) would cure you of a bad case of Entamoeba
histolytica.  Maybe it permanently cured the folks by exceeding their
caring capacity for parasites.

--
:
James F. Mahaffy                   e-mail: mahaffy at dordt.edu