Parasites

Dan Holdsworth drh92 at aber.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 09:53:58 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.94.970317082914.23847A-100000 at utkux4.utcc.utk.edu>,
"Charles T. Faulkner" <ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu> writes:

>	I obtained a virus-free diskette from this source and it contains
>electronically reproduced portions of 19th century medical books and books
>for the lay-public that deal with parasitology.  The source is especially
>useful for understanding 19th century perceptions of the medical
>importance of particular parasite species, their epidemiology, and their
>treatment.

Err, yes, you're obviously not all that experienced with information exchange,
are you?

If the files were data, then they would _have_ to be virus-free; viruses
are carried in executable files, not in datafiles.

If you think that the data files may do funny things on a PC, then all you have
to do is use a sensible OS like UNIX to look at them; UNIX is unaffected by
PC viruses.

One thing; don't mention the old "email virus" thingie again. The joke has
been done unto death, and is no longer funny, if indeed it was ever amusing.

>	If you are curious.......e-mail Margie.  She sent me a diskette
>within 1 week of my request....at her expense.

Cor, and there's all these computer scientists out here using FTP and HTTP to
transfer data around the 'net. Funny, really, these data transfer systems
take only minutes and cost next to nothing, makes you wonder why people use
hardware interchange.

To round up, the ftp site at ftp.res.bbsrc.ac.uk/pub/uploads/ has a world
read/write/delete accessable directory. It's on the domain run by Rothamsted
Experimental Station, so only exchanges of scientific information will be
freely permitted. (I'm NOT a representative of Rothamsted, although I have
worked there.)

So, if you're a few megs of data you wish to exchange, use that site.

If you wish to sell the data, then UU-encode it, PGP encrypt it, put the
encrypted data onto the FTP site, and just sell the key to decrypt the data.

Simple, isn't it?

--
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java
that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a

To obtain the programs I speak of, search the 'Net using altavista.
http://www.altavista.digital.com/

search for pgp (Phil's Pretty Good Privacy) and uuencoder.

You need the uuencoder to turn the binary data into ASCII text, so that PGP
can encrypt it.