endolimax nana and blasto. hominis

Graham Clark graham.clark at LSHTM.AC.UK
Fri Mar 21 09:48:29 EST 1997

eversprin at aol.com (Cynthia Neale) wrote:

>I am looking for information on E. nana and B. hominis. Are these normal
>citizens of the digestive tract or are they bad. Does having either of
>these parasites predipose one to getting cancer? Thank you for any help. =

There has been quite a bit of discussion of Blastocystis in this
newsgroup over the past few months if you are able to access
the archives. Briefly, it may be responsible for symptoms in some =

individuals but most people infected do not know it is there. It
certainly has never been linked to cancer as far as I am aware - =

at most diarrhea and other intestinal symptoms have been attributed
to the parasite.

Endolimax nana has never been linked to any symptoms by anyone as far
as I know and appears to be totally innocuous.

Whether they should be considered 'normal citizens of the digestive =

tract' is a different matter. Both are likely transmitted by ingestion
of fecally contaminated water or food and so may be indicative of a
hygiene or sanitation problem.

Graham Clark
C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Parasitology,
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine,
Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, England, G.B.
e-mail: g.clark at lshtm.ac.uk

=00