Wayne Pederick wayne_pederick at
Thu May 1 06:39:53 EST 1997

I am wondering if anyone has any comments on the detection of ova of
Schistosoma haematobium in semen. My laboratory recently detected these in
the semen of an individual returning from Africa. Examination of faeces and
urine did not reveal the ova whilst the semen was quite heavily loaded with
I have found one reference to semen examination for Schistosoma ova in the
Aust NZ J Med.
Your comments will be appreciated as we do not see many cases in our
laboratory and with the increase in international travel one might
reasonably expect the number of cases to increase. Better screening
techniques may also increase the number of positives.
I can be contacted via E mail at wayne_pederick at

Thankyou in anticipation

Wayne Pederick
Darwin, Northern Territory