[Fwd: Re: HERBAL PRODUCTS]

derek a. zelmer zelmeda4 at WFU.EDU
Wed May 7 15:02:30 EST 1997

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Gary Lum wrote:

> > The only parasites involved here are the people peddling this snakeoil.
>

> Hear hear I agree.  What a load of codswallop.  How can people believe
> this crap?

Not only do they believe it, but they will completely ignore any attempts
by research scientists or physicians to explain why it is crap. It seems
that any form of science education makes you less credible as you
are more likely to be part of the general conspiracy to keep people sick,
thereby increasing available funding for research. I have had this
conversation with several people, and I swear the next time someone gives
me a smug, condescending look when I try to explain that it is unlikely that
isopropyl alchohol would induce a trematode to undergo its entire life cycle
in a human host, and thereby induce various cancers, I will give them an
immediate cause for being concerned about their health. Good thing PhD
candidates don't have to take the Hippocratic oath.

Derek Zelmer