parasites,diet,cancer

D.A.C. Jones djones at scri.sari.ac.uk
Thu May 8 13:10:37 EST 1997

Steve J. Upton wrote:

> It seems that I receive a phone call or e-mail message almost daily
> concerning parasites, cancer, and/or diet.  Therefore, I would like to
> direct the following message to the "novices" of the group.
>
> First, few parasites are correlated with cancer.  Schistosoma
> haematobium in humans is correlated with some bladder carcinomas.
> Spirocerca lupi in canids is thought to cause some esophageal sarcomas,
> and there is a somewhat higher incidence of bile duct carcinomas in
> asiatic countries, possibly due to opisthorcids.  Perhaps some senior
> members of the newsgroup can add one or two more examples, but overall
> don't count on a parasite causing your cancer.

Not exactly a major human parasite, but in some areas of Africa and Asia
infection with the nymphal stage of the pentastomid parasite Armillifer
(there are 3 spp) has been found to be correlated with cancer.

Smith et al. (1975). Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 69,
503-512.

Seeing as no one really looks for it its possible it is more widespread
than reported.

Regards
Dave