D.A.C. Jones djones at
Thu May 8 13:10:37 EST 1997

Steve J. Upton wrote:
> It seems that I receive a phone call or e-mail message almost daily
> concerning parasites, cancer, and/or diet.  Therefore, I would like to
> direct the following message to the "novices" of the group.
> First, few parasites are correlated with cancer.  Schistosoma
> haematobium in humans is correlated with some bladder carcinomas.
> Spirocerca lupi in canids is thought to cause some esophageal sarcomas,
> and there is a somewhat higher incidence of bile duct carcinomas in
> asiatic countries, possibly due to opisthorcids.  Perhaps some senior
> members of the newsgroup can add one or two more examples, but overall
> don't count on a parasite causing your cancer.

Not exactly a major human parasite, but in some areas of Africa and Asia
infection with the nymphal stage of the pentastomid parasite Armillifer
(there are 3 spp) has been found to be correlated with cancer.

Smith et al. (1975). Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 69,

Seeing as no one really looks for it its possible it is more widespread
than reported.