Strongyles and my silly SIG

August Pamplona necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale at poboxes.com
Wed May 14 17:59:23 EST 1997

	Some people have a bit of personal wisdom on their signature file. I do
not since perhaps I am not so wise.
	Some people have interesting quotes. I do not since there's so much to
choose from that I cannot make up my mind.
	I instead have had the little bit of nonsense below for quite a while. It
has occurred to me that it may not be accurate. If it isn't I probably
won't remove it or change it (call it poetic license) but I'd still like to
know.
	First, are there other intestinal nematodes with free living stages?
Second (actually a subset of the first question), is it correct to call
members of the order Rhabditida (such as Strongyloides stercolaris)
strongyles? I assume Strongyloides means strongyle like implying that they
are not strongyles; but, for some reason (perhaps their similar life
cycles), when I wrote my signature I was under the mistaken impression that
genii Necatur, Ancylostoma and Strongyloides fit into the same category.
Third,
what is the root of the word 'strongyle', that is, what does it mean
anyway?

Thanks in advance,
August Pamplona

--
// Intestinal nematode version of the Law of the Jungle:                 \\