meiosis in apicomplexa

Cliff Monahan cmonahan at iamerica.net
Fri May 30 11:50:44 EST 1997

I prefer to show my ignorance in the relative obscurity of these pages rather than have
to do so face-to-face with students. Recently, I couldn't give a good answer on when
meiosis occurs during the coccidian life cycle. Syngamy is obviously the fusion of
gametes resulting in a diploid state. Does the haploid state develop immediately
following syngamy? Furthermore, what is the best explanation for the difference between
a schizont and a meront -- besides the spelling? Cliff