Whip Worm

Omar O. Barriga barriga.2 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 1 00:53:19 EST 1997

Birdie:
	I changed the order of your comments so my answers make sense.

>Her treatment has been directed by a physican and her case reported
>to the CDC.
>She has been on various western medicines from her physican for
>at least a year. The  latest is the most heavy duty of them all, and, they
>appear to building an immunity to it - also, she may have an obstruction,
>and now they want to perform surgery and scrape her intestines out.
>Well, the western medicine has not worked and that approach has
>been going on for over a year and is leading to surgery.
>Whatever the case, my friend is facing surgery, this is a serious
>problem, and the western med's have proven to be not effective.

	From all these comments, I doubt very much that your friend has whipworms.
Whipworms do not produce any of the symptoms that you describe, nobody would
dream of reporting a case of whipworm to the DCD, themedicines I mentioned
area pretty effective, and surgery cannot do anything for whipworms.

>On the otherhand, countries outside of the US are far far far
>more experienced in dealing with this, and while some of these
>"exotic" parasites are new to the US, they are old news in places
>like Korea.
>Therefore, looking outside the US, to countries that have been
>dealing with it for a long time makes *perfect* sense to me.
	Birdie, I am an inmigrant who was brought to the USA to teach at American
universities, Believe me, I do know that the USA is not the center of
information in the world. On the other hand, whipworms are not exotic to the
USA at all, and in all those exotic countries their doctors treat the
whipworms with the medicines I mentioned.

>Also, I have been doing research and am finding people who
>have had success with powerful herbal remedies.
>Last of all, many medicines are derived from plant extracts, so,
>I really don't see any difference between a *proven* herbal remedy
>and a harsh chemical med, except,  the harsh chemical all american
>physican advised and administered med's haven't worked *in this case*
>Everything you mentioned is fine, but the truth is, they are not
>effective for everyone.
>For all we know, these are worms who had a host that was subjected
>to these medications and as such...the ova and new worms were
>pretty immune.
>If Black Walnut extract (I think its the tannin), Juniper Berries, and
>other herbs that people have used - with success- don't work for her,
>then, the surgery will have to be done.
>If anyone has any suggestions of ways to eliminate obstructions
>caused by worms, without surgery, please feel free to post or e-mail.
>Surgery, if it occurs, will happen as a result of nothing else working.
	Birdie, I hope that you realize that you are relying on anecdotal
or "faith" information. Which is that "proven herbal remedy" and how was it
proved?	On my part, I trust medicines whose action has been verified by a
scientific method.
	Finally, if you already made your mind regarding the use of this
"parallel medicine," why did you ask for help?
	Omar O. Barriga, DVM, PhD