Whip Worm

Gary Lum glum at ozemail.com.au
Sat Nov 1 07:55:20 EST 1997

Birdie wrote:

> They've been giving her the common different medications for over a year.
> The most recent is the most powerful, and they are getting immune and/or
> are fortified in a pocket/obstruction. They've in short, survived it all.

> The course of action now, meication having faile, is they want  to do
> surgery to scrape her bowels out. Have you hear of this? It sounds
> terribly extreme to me, and, you will recognise how this is a last
> ditch - all else failed effort.

> Except, the herbal remedies haven't been tried yet.

> This is an interesting point. I have a concern of my own that
> perhaps her abdominal pain could be a result of a obstruction
> caused by *deceased* whipworms. However, tests have shown
> that they are still alive - could be a combination.

This all sounds very odd.  Has a fibre optic endoscope been used to
examine her bowel lumen.  If it has, did the operator take photographs?

What is the status of her immune system?  Have objective tests been
performed?  What were the results?

Gary

Dr Gary Lum
Director of Microbiology and Pathology
Royal Darwin Hospital

Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
Meet me at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glum/
E-mail me at mailto:glum at ozemail.com.au