El Nino effects on parasite populations

Birdie birdies at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 1 00:43:20 EST 1997

As I  live in California, and a great deal of our produce comes
from Central America, a question has popped in my mind.

Shouldn't El Nino have an effect on the parasite population, in
terms of a warmer and wetter climate? Isn't that *the* preferred
environment for many of them?

And also, obviously....heavy rainfall causing flooding and sewers
and cesspools overflowing into crop fields and/or creating across the
board water contamination? This includes North American,
Central and South American areas hit or that will be hit by
heavy rainfall during this El Nino season in crop growing areas.

Anybody know if anything is being done to address this?

Just wondering aloud about what appears to be a potential future
parasite and produce problem....

Birdie