Whip Worm

J-F Magnaval magnaval at cict.fr
Mon Nov 3 10:50:07 EST 1997

Birdie wrote:

> She is now taking a very harsh (lots of side effects and will cause severe
> birth defects if pregnant) which is a Strongylode called Ivermectin, which
> is used in France but is new to the US and considered somewhat
> experimental in the US.

I think you are mixing up the target and the weapon.... Ivermectin is a drug,
and Strongylode (?) sounds like a worm....
Anyway, Ivermectin has got an official approcval in France for treating a
tropical helminthiasis named onchocerciasis. It has also been found effective
for other filariasis, and for strongyloïdiasis as well (maybe there the source
of your error).
IMHO :
- ivermectin is not a "harsh" drug, ther is a lot of evidence for that in
medical literature...
- ivermectin has not a lot of side effects, and I used it for treating more
than 2 hundreds patients with strongyloïdiasis, without any problem....;
- I don't know whether ivermectin is efficient on whipworm disease, since not
used in France in this way (as explained in my former message, flubendazole is
the drug of choice for us), but I am doubtful....

Sincerely

Pr J-F. Magnaval, MD, DrSc
Lab. Parasitologie
CHU Purpan