Killing Spores / Molds / Mildews, etc.

Gary Lum glum at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 5 05:31:40 EST 1997

Joe DUFU Agro wrote:

> I assume Athlete's foot and jock itch and other "warm, wet" skin
> problems are caused by parasites such as molds, etc.

No.  These conditions are usually caused by fungi.  Athletes foot
usually by dermatophytes and "scrot rot" by yeasts like _Candida_
species.  While these parasitise us, they are usually termed parasites
in common microbiological vernacular.

> Is there a detergent or product (that's frugal" that can be added to a
> load of wash - color or white - to kill these parasites?

The best thing you can do is expose the affected/infected areas to air
to allow them to dry out.  Antifungal preparations may also help.  Of
course basic hygiene by washing clothes with a good detergent helps.  If
specific detergents cause allergies these should be avoided.

> I know...  Somewhat off tpoic, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to
> ask this besides a frugal newsgroup I use...  I'm still looking though.

Do you mean frugal or fungal?  There is a fungal newsgroup
bionet.mycology

Regards

Gary

Dr Gary Lum
Director of Microbiology and Pathology
Royal Darwin Hospital

Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
Meet me at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glum/
E-mail me at mailto:glum at ozemail.com.au