Itching after contact with cats

Sandra Lee Wollin SLWOLLIN at worldnet.att.net*
Sun Oct 5 13:33:44 EST 1997

72074.3272 at compuserve.com wrote:

> I just visited a friend who has a lot of cats (but no visible fleas anywhere).
>
> I started itching like crazy soon after cats started rubbing up against me.
> I check visually, and didn't see any fleas.
> I'm still itching a little, even after a shower.
>
> Any suggestions as to parasites / allergies might cause this symptom ?
>
> Thanks, Bob

There can be allergic reactions from contact, inhalents, as well as oral
ingestion.  This is not uncommon.  It may be from the cat itself, or
from something (such as a pollen or dust) the cat has come in contact
with recently and is still carring on their fur, transfering it to your
skin.

If the cat has had a recent grooming and flea dip this may irritate you,
or the shampoo itself...

It is difficult to tell... there are so many possibilities.

The only way to really tell is if it happens ever again, either with
that same cat, or any other one.  If it only happens with that one
particular cat, the cause is easier to narrow down... but if it happens
with all... it's cat hair and dander that you have a contact reaction
to.

Sandra

       .-===-.
       \'-=-'/           Sandra Lee Wollin
        \\|//         SLWOLLIN at worldnet.att.net
         \Y/
      .-'`^`'-.    Antique & Vintage Costume Jewelry
  jgs