Giardia as a zoonosis (or not)

Barry Lifland blifland at leland.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 3 20:01:05 EST 1997

gordonr at computek.net (Gordon Reynolds)wrote:
*Giardia lamblia (lamblia = species name) is the only one in this genus, no
*other species.  Beavers, and perhaps other rodents are primary reservior
*for this protozoan.  I've never heard of domesticated pets having the
*organism.  The microbe is transmitted via contaminated water.
*
Giardia muris takes great exception to this "discounting"!!
And so does G. canis, cati, agilis, caviae, xenopi,the others I have not
listed and of course
"G. species". Call your local Vet - you will get educated - many cats & dogs
among other domestic pets and animals can be infected with Giardia.
BL