Giardia as a zoonosis (or not)

Graham Clark graham.clark at LSHTM.AC.UK
Thu Sep 11 11:51:46 EST 1997

I guess from Jerry's response there must be less of a consensus than
I thought! My response to Andy's posting was more that his conclusions
were inconsistent with my reading of the posted replies. However, Jerry
raises some interesting points. Yes, human-human direct transmission
is very common in some settings, like day-care centres. However,
epidemiological studies have strongly linked water supply with infection
in a number of countries across the world and socioeconomic spectrum. In
a number of cases contamination of water is unlikely to be due to human
waste, implying a zoonotic origin for some outbreaks. The relative
likelihood of an animal vs. a human source for infection is unclear and
probably varies. Certainly water treatment companies are investing an
awful lot of effort in detecting and eliminating Giardia cysts if water
is not a significant transmission route. I'm not sure what fingerprinting
studies Jerry refers to but certainly using isoenzyme markers, Australian
workers found genetically identical isolates in humans and other mammals
(see medline entry below).

Graham Clark
____________________
C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases,
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine,
Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, England, G.B.
____________________

Meloni BP, Lymbery AJ, Thompson RC

Genetic characterization of isolates of Giardia duodenalis by enzyme
electrophoresis: implications for reproductive biology, population
structure, taxonomy, and epidemiology.

J Parasitol 1995 Jun;81(3):368-383

The nature and extent of genetic variation in Giardia was used to
infer its mode of reproduction, population structure, taxonomy, and
zoonotic potential. Ninety-seven isolates of Giardia duodenalis,
from a defined area in Western Australia and throughout Australia
and overseas, were obtained from humans, cats, cattle, sheep,
dogs, goat, beaver, and rats. Enzyme electrophoresis revealed
extensive genetic variation with 47 different zymodemes. The
widespread occurrence of certain zymodemes and the similarity of
relationships among isolates inferred from independent genetic
markers suggests a clonal population structure for G. duodenalis,
although occasional bouts of genetic exchange may occur. The
47 zymodemes clustered similarly in phenetic (UPGMA) and
phylogenetic (Fitch-Margoliash) analyses. The level of genetic
 diversity in isolates from a defined geographical area in Western
Australia was similar to the level of diversity in isolates
from throughout Australia. These data suggest that clonal lineages
within G. duodenalis are evolutionarily independent. Although
there was a significant overall correlation between genetic distance
separating zymodemes and occurrence in different host species, we f
ound genetically identical isolates from humans and other animals and
extensive genetic diversity between isolates from humans. We
interpret this as evidence for zoonotic transmission of the parasite.