Giardia as a zoonosis (or not)

Omar O. Barriga barriga.2 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 12 19:32:23 EST 1997

.  I remain more inclined toward old-fashioned
>fecal contamination as a major route for giardiasis in the US.  From the
>clinical microbiologists with whom I've discussed this, cases tend to be in
>mini-outbreaks not linked by single water supplies, but by close human-human
>contact.

>JerryM

Actually, Jerry, all the reports of Giardia outbreaks published by the CDC
where the source of infection was known were linked to people swiming
in pools or lakes. I agree with you (with quite a bit of shame) that it
is surprising how little we know about the transmission of an infection
that is so prevalent.
			Omar O. Barriga