Giardia as a zoonosis (or not)

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D gmclaugh at INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Tue Sep 16 09:56:26 EST 1997

Of course, contaminated water also means fecal contamination, but again (as
you apparently agree), human feces, not animal feces, which was the origianl
question.  The second EPA-related question mentioned by Graham Clark, was
whether EPA's decision to monitor drinking water for Giardia and
Cryptospordium is reasonable.  Again, I argue that after filtration and
standard delays and processing, I think that drinking water coming through
the tap is very rarely the cause of outbreaks due to Giardia, relative to
more direct exposure (hand-butt-shake-doorknob, farts in common swimming
water; this is what I consider fecal contamination as usually defined, which
is indeed distinct from "water-borne" contamination as defined above).
There is an important distinction, because if the former is common,
adjustments in monitoring and processing of drinking water are necessary.
If the latter is the main mechanism, education about oral-fecal hygiene is
more effective and should be the main emphasis for control of giardiasis.

JerryM

At 04:06 AM 9/16/97 +0000, Omar O. Barriga wrote:
> Giardia is over 80%
>>of the O&P positives and not identifiable with a "drinking water" outbreak,
>>but by likely fecal contamination.
>
>The drinking water outbrak is also fecal contamination. Where do you think
>Giardia came from to the water?
>
>			Omar

Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
635 Barnhill Dr., MS A128
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5113
Ph 317-274-2651; FAX 317-278-0643
e-mail:  gmclaugh at iupui.edu