Wooden Applicator Sticks

Brent Barrett salbrent at iquest.net
Wed Apr 15 20:47:20 EST 1998

I prefer using the Puritian brand of non-sterile wooden 6 inch applicator
sticks when preparing slides for trichrome staining. In my opinion, this
brand of sticks are consistently straight and have a smooth finish. This is
an important spec because we roll the specimen on the slide which breaks
down the larger bits and produces a uniform density. Each slide requires 3
sticks.  The larger sci supply houses do not carry this brand on a regular
basis, instead are selling private label brand packaging of second quality
sticks from an unknown vendor. In the past, this brand and the private label
brand were the same price but you needed to specify the brand. Does any
subscriber know of other sources who carry this brand.

Thank you
Brent Barrett
Indiana State Dept of Health
salbrent at iquest.net