Cliff Monahan clifmon at jadeinc.com
Thu Apr 16 19:26:39 EST 1998

We are trying to incorporate aspects of wildlife parasitology into the
veterinary parasitology courses, hoping to engender an appreciation of
the host/parasite relationships that began well before domestication of
animals. One good question came up and I'm completely at a loss for good
examples: what do the parasites of hibernating animals do during
hibernation to keep from debilitating the host during its repose? I
assume a mutual hypobiosis, but don't have more than 'gut' feelings on
the subject. Please, any good examples would be greatly appreciated and I
promise to give ample credit to whomever can give me some good
parasitological tidbits to fuel the interest of the students. Much