Hibernation

Dr. Peter W. Pappas pappas.3 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 17 06:24:39 EST 1998

Cliff has raised an interesting question:  "Do parasites, like their
hosts, hibernate?"  I have no idea what the answer to this question
might be, but I would like to raise an additional question:  "How
would one go about testing the hypothesis?"  I suggest that this would
be very difficult to do for two reasons.  First, we know so little
about the biology of most species of parasites, what parameters would
we examine to determine whether a parasite was hibernating?  Second,
if you removed parasites from a hibernating host for the purposes of
examination, would the parasites still be hibernating?

On 16 Apr 1998 17:26:39 -0700, clifmon at jadeinc.com (Cliff Monahan)
wrote:

>We are trying to incorporate aspects of wildlife parasitology into the
>veterinary parasitology courses, hoping to engender an appreciation of
>the host/parasite relationships that began well before domestication of
>animals. One good question came up and I'm completely at a loss for good
>examples: what do the parasites of hibernating animals do during
>hibernation to keep from debilitating the host during its repose? I
>assume a mutual hypobiosis, but don't have more than 'gut' feelings on
>the subject. Please, any good examples would be greatly appreciated and I
>promise to give ample credit to whomever can give me some good
>parasitological tidbits to fuel the interest of the students. Much
>obliged.
>
>Cliff

Dr. Peter W. Pappas
Professor/Chairperson