Parasitism and Platyhelminths

TRPLATT trplatt at aol.com
Thu Aug 6 07:51:07 EST 1998

As many of you may be aware, Prof. Graham Kearn has recently published a new
book entitled "Parasitism and Platyhelminths" published by Chapman & Hall. The
book was to be published in both hardback and paperback formats. The hardback
version was published (in November I believe) at the price of $212.50 US.
Chapman & Hall was then sold to Kluwer Academic Publishing. At the present time
the new publishers have agreed to publish a more affordable paperback version
only when all the hardbacks are sold - an unlikely event.

  I have contacted Prof. Kearn and he is quite upset about this matter. He
suggested that I express my concern to Kluwer. I have done so. I would like to
encourage other interested parasitologists to write as well. The contact person
is:

                Dr. Rene Mijs  (e-mail: Rene.Mijs at wkap.nl)
                Kluwer Academic Publishers
                P.O. Box 17
                3300 AA Dordrecht
                The Netherlands

   Perhaps if enough of us write and indicate an interest in purchasing a
paperback version, we can convince Kluwer to do the right thing.

   Thanks for your help

Tom Platt
Associate Professor
Department of Biology