Alaria americanus?

pookie lori at currentnews.nu
Tue Aug 25 19:47:49 EST 1998

Bert/Marie Tallant wrote:

> Friends in Oklahoma (a father and two grown children) are in the
> University Med Center
> in Oklahoma City infected with ?Alaraia americanus?  The CDC is there as
> this seems to be extremely rare.  They contracted the parasite from
> wading in a farm pond.  I have been unable to find any information on
> this organism/disease.  Can anyone out there shed any light?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Bert Tallant

Your probably talking about Nector americanus, which is a hookworm with
infection acquired through skin penetration of the filariform larvae
from the soil on the farm.

Okay, are you ready to be really grossed out??? Here is what is
happening:

After skin penetration, the larvae is carried to the right heart and
then to the lungs and migrate from the bronchi to the trachea and
pharynx, then swallowed and reside in the small intestines. Ooooo, just
thinking about ... well, not a pleasant story! Anyways, the worm
attaches itself to the mucosal lining and lives there for up to 15
years. The female worm begins laying eggs about 5 months after
attachment, which end up in the stool and possibly infecting others if
they are not careful!

Diseases that can result from this infection:

necrosis of intestinal tissue
blood loss
fatigue
nausea,
vomiting,
abdominal pain
diarrhea
weakness
pallor
eosinophilia (certain type of wbc)
iron deficiency anemia
edema
listlessness
cardiomegaly
mental and physical retardation.

I hope your friends come through well with treatment. It can be a long
discouraging process to deal with!

LP