[Q] Chagas Transmission

a rose andreas.rose at biologie.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Feb 18 16:28:20 EST 1998

Greetings,

I was asked whether Chagas disease (American Trypanosomiasis) can also
be transmitted through sexual intercourse. The only source I remember
that says so is a picture book about parasite life cycles, but I don't
really trust that book all that much, and no real sources are given. So
far, I only know for sure that the disease is transmitted through bugs,
blood transfusuions and also from mother to child during birth. (The
latter might indicate a possiblitity for sexual transmission.) Does
anybody know a source I can trust (preferably research papers)? Also, I
heard the disaese may be transmited from mother to child through
breastfeeding. Is that true as well?

Thanks for any input,

Andreas

--
Andreas M. Rose, Dipl. Biol. - "Hostfinding in the bloodsucking bug
Triatoma infestans, a vector of Chagas disease."