Cotylurus variegatus/erraticus?

Chris Harrod C.Harrod at *anti-spam*ulst.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 07:24:54 EST 1998

Dear All,
Firstly apologies to anyone offended by an ecologist straying into
bionet.parasitology, but I'm hoping that you kind types out there may be
able to help me out.

I'm finding large numbers ( 400 host -1) of trematode cysts (seemingly
Cotylurus variegatus/erraticus?) within the pericardial cavities of the
Coregonid fish I'm studying (C. autumnalis).

I have little parasite experience -  so I would be thankful for any
advice anyone could provide, esp.  any pointers to literature describing
these beasts, e.g. their biology, development, and importantly the
consequences of infestation on the host fish.

What kind of effects would these encysted worms have on the fishes
metabolic requirements/cardiac performance.

All help would be kindly received

Thanks in advance

Chris Harrod

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University of Ulster Freshwater Laboratory
Traad Point
Ballyronan
Co. Londonderry
BT45 6LR
Northern Ireland
Tel: 01648 418350/418264
Fax: 01648 418777
Email: c.harrod at ulst.ac.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx