Group moderation again...

Graham Clark graham.clark at LSHTM.AC.UK
Wed Jan 7 07:29:47 EST 1998

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to raise the issue of moderation of this group again. Last
July there was discussion of this possibility but it was dropped when
plans to install a spam filter for all bionet newsgroups was announced.
The amount of junk postings seemed to drop but now I get the impression
it is increasing again - about 50% of the postings since the beginning
of the year are unrelated to parasitology. It is not as bad as it was at
one time but it is getting there.

There were few objections to moderation last time around, the delay
involved in posting being the only major one I remember. However, if
there were three moderators - one in Asia, one in Europe, and one in the
Americas - who deleted all junk mail and posted the rest there need not
be any significant delay. Does anyone know whether the 'Discussion
Leaders' listed in the BioSci FAQ are still involved? I have not seen
any posts to this group from them.

I would like to reopen discussion on the possibility of moderation.

Graham
--
C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases,

Tel: ++44-171-927-2351
FAX: ++44-171-636-8739
e-mail: g.clark at lshtm.ac.uk
Homepage: http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/mp/bcu/enta/mpvbgcla.htm