Where to study?

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D gmclaugh at IUPUI.EDU
Mon Jan 19 11:45:39 EST 1998

Lori-

For graduate study, Washington Louis St. Louis' Molecular Microbiology
department, NYU's Tropical Disease department, and Harvard's School of
Public Health are excellent for molecular parasitology.  For a combination
of classical and molecular parasitology, I like Tulane University's School
of Public Health, the program at the University of Georgia, and the program
at the University of Notre Dame's Dept of Biological Sciences.  Overseas,
the London School has always been strong in classical parasitology.  These
places have web sites associated with their institutions.  Try to match your
long-term interests with the strengths of a given program and University.
Choose an advisor carefully; in general, a more senior and well-funded
advisor who has completed well-placed students is better, but be sure to do
a Medline to see whether what they do, is what you want to do. Get fliers
about programs from 5-10 places, and visit top choices and/or discuss by
phone with graduate students at several levels of progress, their
evaluations.  Ask about support mechanisms, admission criteria, and
completion success rates for MS and PhD's (choose a range of admission
standards to assure admission somewhere, but in general, try to maximize
admission standards and completion rates).  An advantage of the above
places, is that a number of excellent faculty are available to choose from,
and they have produced many successful parasitology graduates.

Good luck!

Jerry McLaughlin, Ph.D.

At 10:07 PM 1/17/98 -0600, Lori wrote:
>Dear Group,
>
>I am a zoology student and will be graduating in April this year.
>I want to do a master's degree in parasitology but don't know
>where or with whom.
>I am in Canada, but would  go elsewhere, even overseas.
>Does anyone have any suggestions what an interesting and
>good area would be to get into? Or a good place to go and
>study?
>
>Lori

Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
635 Barnhill Dr., MS A128
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5113
Ph 317-274-2651; FAX 317-278-0643
e-mail:  gmclaugh at iupui.edu