HELP!!!! Strongyloidiasis AND Steroids

Robert S. Lewis macaque at bigfoot.com
Sun Jul 12 21:15:50 EST 1998

LilMsModem wrote:

>     My mother, 49 yrs old, was diagnosed with strongyloidiasis stercoralis on
> July 3rd, 1998 after being misdiagnosed for almost 3 months.  First diagnosis
> was a stroke after finding a mass within her brain. She was then treated with
> masses amounts of steroids.    2nd diagnosis was "Brain Tumor"... we went to MD
> Anderson for a brain biopsy. Biopsy came back non-dianostic.  The first week of
> July she began having bad diarrhea, so a stool sample was taken.  Finally a
> proper diagnosis was made.
>
>    She is now lying in the ICU unit in East Jefferson Hospital, in Metarie
> Louisiana. The parasites are now in every part of her body.... Several attempts
> have been made to eradicate her body of these vicious parasites/ worms, yet all
> have failed.
> As of now she in on a venilator at 100% oxygen with 12 peep. Her heart rate is
> very high, and her blood preassure seems to be dropping very, very slow. There
> is a severe rash from her knee's to her chin, which we were told , were the
> parasites migrating to the skin surface. She also has been in a coma for 6 days
> now.
>
>  We have many questions, yet the doctors can't seem to answer us.. They keep
> giving us hope. small, yet hope. If anyone can help us at all, with any
> information, we'd greatly appreciate it. we are at our last ropes physically as
> well as mentally...
>
>           Cheri' Leidinger
>      LilMsModem at AOL.com

Cheri,   Thiabendazole (Mintezol) is the drug of choice for Strongyloides.  25
mg/kg of body twice daily for 2 or 3 days.  With hyperinfection (like your
mother's) may require 5 to 7 days of treatment.  I'm not a physician, so my word is
not to be taken as an authority!  I'm just a Medical Technology student with
parasitology courses under my belt.  The reference used is from, "Basic Clinical
Parasitology-Sixth Edition" by Franklin A. Neva and Harold W. Brown.  ISBN
0-8385-0624-0  Library of Congress #  RC119.B695  1994
   Doctors at Tulane University has experts on this stuff.  Let us know how things
turn out!

Bob Lewis

Robert S. Lewis
e-mail: macaque at bigfoot.com
The Monkey Room Debacle (http://www.bigfoot.com/~macaque)
---Nifty Primate-related Websites
(http://users.nye.net/~macaque/primatewebsites1.htm
---Nasty human and non-human animal diseases, epidemics, plagues, pestilence, poxes

and parasites! (and some organizations in the war against disease!)
(http://users.nye.net/~macaque/diseasewebsites1.htm
--- Animal research web sites!  If you are against finding cures for diseases like
AIDS, DON'T GO HERE! (http://users.nye.net/~macaque/animalresearchsites.htm)