dirofilaria immitis in cats

Michele Mura michmura at tin.it
Wed Jul 29 03:46:12 EST 1998

I'm an italian vet, we have had the heska test for cats only for 4 months.
In dogs we have many cases of d. immitis, but we have never found it in
cats. Using this heska test we found nearly the 20% of positive cats. And
this is the first problem!
The second problem is: when do we read if the test is positive or not?
After 5 minutes? After 15 minutes? How long have we to wait the very little
red line of positivity?
I will say to you that with echocadiographic exams we found three positive
cats among 30 or 40 tested cats (10 positives with heska) and we read test
after 15 minutes. Can someone help me?