source of crypto oocysts

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D gmclaugh at iupui.edu
Mon Jun 22 15:15:17 EST 1998

Upton at KS State has a web page with some resources for Cryptospordium.
Suppliers of custom unfixed material are difficult to say the least.
Possible sources include Chuck Sterling's lab in Arizona; Waterborne, Inc,
Harry Stibb's company near Tulane; Stuart Lipton's Scientific Device
Laboratory has Cryptosporidum from calves; Turtox and other suppliers have
some slides,usually from calves.  Other experts include Cynthia  Coppel of U
Tx Houston med school who has infected human volunteers.  Probably vet
schools would be your best hope for the "wildlife" Cryptosprodia you've
listed; mostly on reference/teaching/clinical lab slides, probably.  It's
possible that the CDC, e.g. Dr. Arrowood, may have a collection.
If you can get fresh diarrhea from each host species at very young ages, the
odds are high that you can isolate you own.

At 09:15 PM 6/19/98 -0400, James Wick wrote:
>Can anyone help me acquire 10(5) to 10(6) oocysts of several of these
>Cryptosporidium species? In order of importance I am looking for  C. muris,
>C. baileyi, C. meleagridis, C. wrairi, C. felis, C. nasorim and C.
>serpentis.
>
>Any help in directing me to someone that I could acquire/purchase these
>materials would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Jim Wick
>Molecular Biology Resources, Inc.
>5520 W. Burleigh St.
>Milwaukee, WI 53210
>FAX 414-871-1273
>E-mail wick at cris.com
>Jim Wick

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Pathology and Lab Medicine
635 Barnhill Dr, MS A128
Indianapolis, IN  46202-5120
Ph 317-274-2651; FAX 317-278-0643/2018; Home 317-328-7811
E-Mail:  gmclaugh at iupui.edu