Papers needed? And what about legal issues....

Shukri Adams sadams at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Tue Jun 23 04:19:10 EST 1998

Hi - I'm doing an MSc in parasite biogeography as a tool for fisheries
management. I'm based in at the University of Cape Town, South Africa.
During the course of my research I have become increasingly frustrated
to find out that important publications that I need are just not
available in this country, and with the terrible Rand - US$ exchange
rate and bad postal service, it's very difficult and costly getting
publications through interlibrary loans/photocopies. I know it's legal
to photocopy publications for one's own use (within reason of course),
and it's also allowed to photocopy a publication for someone else and
give it to them. So, what stops people from scanning up papers and
emailing the scans to people in need of them? And is it legal to place
the scans on a website? What happens if access to the website is
restricted to only a certain number of people with valid reasons to view
the scans? If anybody has any advice on the matter, please let me know.
Also, if anybody out there is interested in partaking in this, get in
touch. You will obviously need to have access to a computer scanner
(preferably a flatbed), and internet connection.

If this idea is legal, I would be more than happy to make my collection
of marine parasite papers available to others. I will also provide ample
web and FTP space if it's legal to put material up at such sites.

One more question for anybody in the know - is there a parasitology list
server group out there somewhere? This newsgroup isn't exactly bustling
with visitors, and I'd like to get in touch with more parasitologists.

cheers !

email me at:
sadams at botzoo.uct.ac.za

Shukri