delusional parasitosis

Dr. Gary Conboy conboy at UPEI.CA
Wed Mar 18 07:50:00 EST 1998

In article <35091e17.336826 at nntp.service.ohio-state.edu> pappas.3 at osu.edu (Dr. Peter W. Pappas) writes:
>From: pappas.3 at osu.edu (Dr. Peter W. Pappas)
>Subject: Re: delusional parasitosis
>Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:56:21 GMT

>I guess I'm a little "tight" over this whole subject, and readers may
>not understand why.  But, readers also have not seen the questions I
>have received from people wondering why they can't get rid of their
>parasites (which have not even been diagnosed), and which of the
>"cures" I would recommend.  Needless to say, I recommend none and
>suggest they seek qualified medical assistance.
>Dr. Peter W. Pappas
>Department of Zoology
>The Ohio State University
>Columbus, OH  43210
>pappas.3 at osu.edu

All of the people with probable delusional parasitosis that I have encountered
have been to several MD's and found the care they received "inadequate".  In
my experience, suggesting they seek proper medical care is advice they will
not take and my inability to diagnose the specific parasite causing their
"affliction" places me along with all of the other medical personnel that are
"incompetent" to handle the diagnostic challenge.  As a veterinary
parasitologist I can plead that unless the causative agent is a zoonotic
parasite that I am not the appropriate person to be involved in their case.
This gets them out of my office, but I feel that these people are falling
through the cracks in the system.  I will take a look at the UC Davis web site
to see how these cases should be handled (there has got to be a better way
than what I have done in the past).

Gary Conboy DVM, PhD
Atlantic Veterinary College
Charlottetown, PEI