Oil of Chenopodium

Claude Vaucher claude.vaucher at mhn.ville-ge.ch
Wed Mar 25 03:18:35 EST 1998

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.980324210901.14751A-100000 at moe>, "Charles T.
Faulkner" <ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu> wrote:

> I found a reference in Chandler's Intro to Human Parasit to work by
> Schuffner & Verwoort in Sumatra ~1913 that demonstrated efficacy of 'oil
> of chenopod' as an anthelmintic and that others had been previously
> tried it but found it ineffective. Does anyone know where this ref is
> published?  Thanks in advance.
>
> ctf

Hello!

I remember that Jean G. Baer spoke about "oil of Chenopodium" as an
anthihelninthic in his lectures in parasitology. In Brumpt's "Precis de
Parasitologie" (1936, Masson ed., Paris, vol 1, pp. 939-940), you will
find a short chapter about this antihelminthic (= semen contra, american
worm-seed, Jerusalem oat, goose foot) and its properties. It was used
against Hymenolepis nana, Ascaris, Enterobius and ancylostomes
particularly. Brumpt wrote also that "hundreds of thousands of people has
been treated with it in tropical and subtropical regions". If someone is
interested in a xerox, please let me know.

Cl.Vaucher

--
Museum of Natural History
P.P. Box 6434