Hardin MD update - Separate Microbiology & Infectious Diseases?

Gerald L. McLaughlin, Ph.D gmclaugh at iupui.edu
Wed Nov 4 13:40:08 EST 1998

As a generalist and a reductionist, I prefer a single good website for all
of the infectious diseases, and many non-infectious diseases as well.  If
the scope for Microbiology also included soil and water ecosystems,
separation might be more reasonable, but an infection is an infection,
whether viral, bacterial, or protist; the concept of "infestations" by
worms or arthropods, is also not that much of a stretch.  Infectious
diseases are a relatively simple and small specialty.  Even the CDC's
Center for Infectious Diseases, is just one of about 5 health-related
specialties; and NIH-NIAID incorporates both infectious disease and
allergies as one 5 about institutes.  If the front page is kept simple with
html links to each specialty, the webpage should still work.

Jerry

Gerald McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Dept Pathology and Laboratory Medicine