Advice sought

Gary Hansen zz at hamilton.net
Mon Nov 9 13:36:29 EST 1998

Hi. I'm not a scientist, but am the father of a 5 year old girl who had
a bone marrow transplant 20 months ago for aplastic anemia. Her
blood-cell production has been restored by the transplant (which was
from her sister), but she has experienced a long list of problems over
the last 20 months which have generally been attributed by her doctors
to graft-versus-host disease (the bone marrow recipient's version of
rejection). 20 months is an unusually long time, for patients with her
illness, to have problems as serious as hers are. We live on a farm in
Nebraska.

Among her symptoms are joint pain (which has existed since shortly after
the transplant), deep eye pain and improper tracking of one eye (neither
of which a neural opthalmologist can find any cause for), headaches, ear
aches, right-shoulder pain, chest pain, stomach aches (which don't
correlate with meals), blood in the urine, a slightly enlarged spleen,
chronic fatigue, and slow healing of common small sores.

All recent blood tests have come back in normal ranges.

She has, obviously, received many different medications. Current
medications are prednisone, amoxicillin, dapsone, fluconesal and zantac.
Earlier she received chemotherapy drugs including cytoxin and atg.

Recently we (her parents) have begun to wonder if parasites could be
involved. We speculate that the intention reduction of her immunity to
near-zero prior to the transplant (and its continued suppression
afterward) could have allowed parasitic infection.

Yesterday we did a web search on PARASITES and read statements by many
individuals of varying credentials claiming that a large percentage
(most, in fact) of the U.S. population has parasites. I think I read a
statement by one individual that no test exists for many parasites.
(Which leads me to wonder how anyone can say they're present.) Various
individuals offer a number of products (naturopathic) for the removal of
these parasites, along with comments that drug therapy for parasite
removal often fails.

We have not yet spoken to our daughter's doctors about this concern.

I'm posting here to ask readers of bionet.parasitology what your
opinions are on:

1.) The general prevalence of parasites among the U.S. population

2.) The seriousness of infection with various (common?) parasites

3.) The difficulty or ease of determining whether an individual has
parasitic infection

4.) Treatment options if parasites are present

Any ideas (including leads/links to other sources of information) would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.