global giardia & taenia infection estimates - any ideas ?

shaw at lewsun.md.ucl.ac.be shaw at lewsun.md.ucl.ac.be
Mon Nov 9 08:07:30 EST 1998

Hi

I have been asked to give a 1 hour lecture on macroparasitic diseases
to a bunch of third year medics - so i was going to scare them with
estimates of the number of people infected with various parasites -
(they have heard of malaria but that is about it). i have managed to
get rough estimates for most of the important parasites, but i cannot
find even a guestimate of how many people are thought
to be infected world wide with giardia, and how many infected with
taenia spp

has anybody got even a guess - we are not talking to the nearest 10
people, i.e. for schistosomes i am saying 200 million

many thanks

Darren