global giardia & taenia infection estimates - any ideas ?

Robert S. Lewis robert.s.lewis at gte.net
Mon Nov 9 17:14:31 EST 1998

shaw at lewsun.md.ucl.ac.be wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been asked to give a 1 hour lecture on macroparasitic diseases
> to a bunch of third year medics - so i was going to scare them with
> estimates of the number of people infected with various parasites -
> (they have heard of malaria but that is about it). i have managed to
> get rough estimates for most of the important parasites, but i cannot
> find even a guestimate of how many people are thought
> to be infected world wide with giardia, and how many infected with
> taenia spp
>
> has anybody got even a guess - we are not talking to the nearest 10
> people, i.e. for schistosomes i am saying 200 million
>
> many thanks
>
> Darren
> Dr Darren J Shaw
> Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED),
> Ecole de Sante Publique, UCL, 30.34 Clos Chapelle-aux-Champs,
> 1200 Brussels, Belgium

Hello!
   The information that you need should be found at
http://martin.parasitology.mcgill.ca/JIMSPAGE/WORLDOF.HTM.  Statistics of
parasitic infections by continent is given.  This page is managed by James
Smith, PhD, at McGill University, Quebec.

Bob Lewis

Robert S. Lewis
e-mail: macaque at bigfoot.com
NEW!!! The Macaques of Lopburi, Thailand
(http://users.nye.net/~macaque/lopburi1.htm)
The Monkey Room Debacle (http://www.bigfoot.com/~macaque)
---Nifty Primate-related Websites
(http://users.nye.net/~macaque/primatewebsites1.htm
---Nasty human and non-human animal diseases, epidemics,
plagues, pestilence, poxes and parasites! (and some
organizations in the war against disease!)
(http://users.nye.net/~macaque/diseasewebsites1.htm
---Millie Macaque's Bookstore and Required Reading List
(http://users.nye.net/~macaque/bookstore.htm)